Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Talent Code

I was presented with a gift a few days ago which was "The Talent Code" a book by Daniel Coyle from a Synchro Mom. This was very unexpected but special as here's someone who believes that "we" - the Naiads - can produce and develop talented synchronized swimmers. I appreciated the gesture and was excited to hear the secrets of the most talented athletes and coaches. 30 pages in, I feel uplifted, optimistic and motivated to keep working hard and trying to incorporate concepts within the deep practice philosophy. Curious - so am I. What I do know at this point is that Deep Practicing (meaning practicing at the edge of your ability, struggling, making mistakes and fixing them yourself) can increase the speed of learning....Hmmm...I also know that a girl named Clarissa did a month of practicing piano in 6mins. Wow!
With this being said - we don't have to practice lots of hours to get results. We just need to be doing the right kind of practicing. I can see myself learning a lot from this book and being able to apply these concepts into my regular life. Think of the times you let your foot off the clutch when you're sitting in your driveway in 1st gear and the car jolts OR the saying "you won't see me making the same mistake twice".. These can be related to deep practicing.
As I looked into the Talent Code further i.e. Googled it:) I was shocked at the abundance of awesome information on the website: www.thetalentcode.com.
After creeping the site I found a section called "What Talent Do You Want to Grow?" Browsing my options I notice a tab called "Social Skills".. Click...There you'll find a girl talking about going to a Shyness Clinic and that got me thinking...you really CAN develop, enhance and grow social skills. Imagine if all the people that 'we' may say on a regular basis just need 'better social skills' knew about the CODE, wow - the world would be a different place. I would recommend taking a look at the "code" as it may help in any aspect of your life - mental, physical and just plain understanding how the brain works..

Fitness Log:
Today - nothing
Tomorrow - Pole Dancing

No comments:

Post a Comment