Sunday, March 7, 2010

Moksha Yoga

I've recently started Moksha Yoga at the old Scotia Bank on St. Peter's Road. Mike and I are both looking to increase our flexibility and learn how to 'relax' our minds/bodies. What a great experience it is to focus solely on your breath and quiet the mind. Throughout our first session my thoughts (which I really wasn't 'supposed' to have any) were consumed with how much I liked the feeling of stretching. After sitting for 48hours a week at work, it's so nice to not feel AS tight.
Moksha - which can be translated to "freedom" is designed to (from my understanding after 3 classes) allow for change as the 'student' progresses. I never realized that starting Yoga I would be a student again. From 'massaging inner organs' to bringing hands to 'heart center' - I must say I'm learning a lot about my body. My left butt is tighter than my right > My right hip flexor is tighter than my left - who knew?!
The classes start out lying on the floor, feet spread apart, and palms facing the ceiling focusing on breath and 'letting go' of your insecurities, daily events, etc while tuning into breath. This is certainly my favorite pose as I'm sure one of these days I'll fall asleep from being so 'in tune' with myself - haha. The instructor is really great at what she does, she talks you through every pose and gears each class so that a beginner can start at any time or a seasoned student can walk in and feel challenged.
You can virtually do Yoga anywhere but I would recommend attending these classes on St Peter's Road. So far, the classes are small and done in a warm room (she'll be starting Hot Yoga soon) and it's just nice to get out of your environment for an hour and focus on Yourself:)

As we say at the end of each class - "Good practice and Namaste"

Fitness Log:
March 5th:
45 mins Yoga
1hour UFIT

March 6th:
4 frames of bowling - Does this count? ;)

3 comments:

  1. Steph! I really want to try that yoga, what is the place called?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Becs,
    It's at 155 St Peters Rd (Old Scotiabank) across from Ellis Brothers Mall. There's signs on the door - Classes Run:
    Monday, Wednesday, Friday - 8am
    Monday - Saturday 12:00pm
    Monday - Friday 5:30pm

    The first class is a $5 drop in and then $10 drop in after that.

    She offers different packages - 8 sessions for $65, etc. I'll let you know the next time I'm going if you want to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really good. I was just talking to Corey and he said he would Love to try a class like this too:)

    ReplyDelete