Thursday, March 18, 2010

Reaching Your Peak Performance

Just this past week I was in Quebec City for the Eastern/Atlantic Divisional Synchro Championships. It was here where I finally realized the importance of exercise/cross training. Looking at my athletes this season I see confident, fit, energetic young woman that have one thing in common - a passion for Synchronized Swimming. These girls train hard for 10months of the year. A long training season with a lot of sacrafice. We're constantly trying to perfect our techniques and become more graceful in the water. Last year as Mike and I were having a conversation about my athletes he made a statement that is now hitting home to me. He said - "these girls need to get in the water with the strength/endurance to perform the skills so they can focus on perfecting the technique". Maybe a simple concept to some people however, I think it's been an issue with our sport for a long time. The athletes are in the water physically unable to do the skills we are asking and therefore are not able to reach their peak performance.

This past weekend a Quebec coach asked me - "What are you doing with your athletes? They are so good!" (insert french accent here). Not thinking she was REALLY asking me what we're doing (Quebec is the best in Canada at Synchronized Swimming) - I chuckled... After her asking again - I realized she really wanted to know! It was then it hit me - the thing that we are mostly doing different is focusing on our cross-training. This coach was dumbfounded that we are able to produce the athletes we have on 7-9hours pool time weekly while her athletes are swimming 30hours weekly. After watching my athletes compete in the top category and be comparable to others I realized that reaching our peak performance relates back to fundamental exercise not specific to synchronized swimming.

I can apply this concept to many other areas of my life - developing a foundation of health and well being can be applied to my performance at work, my relationships, coaching, mental health therefore reaching my peak 'life' performance. Without a clear head - I'm unable to focus on the tasks I have to perform at work, home or making time for myself. I've noticed in the past 2 years (as I've been focusing more on "healthier" living) I am much less stressed, less aches/pains, able to enjoy life and a very good partner to Mike. I still have a way to go but think I'm finally on the right track!

2 comments:

  1. Steph,
    I Love this post, it is so true!! I am really enjoying this blog. You may have missed your calling as a writer or motivational speaker:)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. It is truly amazing how our bodies, minds and spirits are so well integrated that creating wellness in one aspect spills over into the other aspects.

    Congrats on recognizing that for yourself and for your athletes! Congrats on their performance in Quebec!

    I'm glad Kelly told me about your blog...a warm welcome to the blogiverse.

    ReplyDelete