Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Getting in the Zone

Getting in the "Zone" means a variety of things to me. Whether it's inspired eating by Dr. Sear's Zone Diet to being so focused on coaching that I ignore everything and everyone around me (shout out to Lisa and Mags) it's definitely a 'state of mind'.
Last year, Mike and I bought the Zone Diet books by Dr. Sears. A series of informative books from recipes, philosphies and scientific jargon. As the Zone Diet is the first choice to many CrossFitters - it was the logical next step for Mike. For me, it was a necessary step. I'm not into diets - I hate the word 'diet' as it holds a negative connotation to me. As soon as I hear it I think deprivation. So let's call the Zone a choice. I chose to read and consider the philosophies of Dr. Sears and I must say - he's onto something. The concept of keeping your blood sugars stable is priceless. I've always had a problem where I'd get really weak, shaky around meal time - hungry some might call it, hypoglycemic is my word choice. Not thinking of WHAT I was eating didn't help these 'episodes'. Mike and I now choose to try to use the Doc's tips as we prepare meals at home. Our nightly supper consists of salad (either garden or spinach), vegetables (zuchinni, asparagus, broccoli/cauliflower) and lean protien (chicken, fish or pork). We also choose not to buy sugary/salty snacks (our snacks consist of protein bars, grapes, yogurt, etc) and try to limit our bread intake and pasta. I notice a big difference in my energy levels from eating like this. It's amazing what a few vegetables can do for you:) In saying this - I don't deprive myself of the foods I love: yes - I eat chips at work, yes - I'll have a pop at work, OK - I'll even have a chocolate bar as well and that's ok to me. It's better than how I was eating before this year. Living on my own - spaghetti, nachos, chips, pop, fast food were the 5 food groups for me.
After a year of trying parts of the Zone - my advice is this - eat to provide fuel for your body, eat a variety of foods and stop when you're full. Open your mind to the possibility of change. Try to make concious food choices and not emotional ones. Logical, yes. Easy, no.

Fitness Log:
Tonight: Kettlebell Skills Clinic - 1st time:)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Steph,
    I Love this one I too am not big on the word diet, I like to think in terms of life style choices. It was a really good book thanks for the lone:)
    I would like to read Eating Animals it is supposed to be really good. Hope you enjoyed Kettlebell class:)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph you were born to blog!
    I was hoping the post would have more about your mental zone, as it's one of the most fascinating things I've ever seen! Keep up the good work girl!

    ReplyDelete