Thursday, March 25, 2010

Fitness Pole Dancing - Take 2

Tonight was my second pole dancing class - after I hobbled into the mall, down the stairs and put on a smile (still sore from earlier this week and now my neck is critched)- I was second guessing my fitness quest.... I mean really, isn't it easier to watch tv and eat carbs? Yesterday, I was overcome with a horrid headache and sore muscles - I really thought I was getting ill and possibly had an uncurable disease(I know dramatic!).. It took everything I had to get myself up and going to this class and I'm glad I did.

I love the concept and components of the class - giggling, 'travelling hands', hair flipping, hip rolling, 'marking territory', pole spinning, splits, back arching, pouncing cat, pony (slapping derriere while yelling "OOOhh"), sexy walking, the possibilities are endless... Tonight - we started our 'routine'...

Picture this.....

Instructor dims the lights to where you feel like you're in a smokey club, presses play on the IPOD, adjusts volume so you can hear the crowd cheering in the background (not sure the name of the song but it suits the routine), we begin with our backs to the 'audience' (which are mirrors)and the routine starts...
The instructor calls out the moves as we go and it's at this time my sister and I are holding back our smiles and giggles...after the initial sexy walk (on our tip toes to simulate high heels) to the wall to mark our territory I started to loose myself in the room. At one point - I believe it was when I was bent over looking between my legs waving - that I thought "if my Dad could see us now..." By the end of the routine my sister and I felt a sense of accomplishment. We were able to keep time with the instructor, able to hold a straight face and do our fireman's spin/back arch combination.

The "not so sexy" moments of the class:
a)Tonight was one of those nights that I was glad that my sister and I were the only pole students....At the time where I was feeling liberated and channeling my inner burlesque dancer I went to practice my fireman's pole spin when I lost focus -didn't attach my feet to the pole and landed on my butt....Becs couldn't keep herself going on her spin from laughter as I had let out an "ooh and ahh" as I was falling.
b)I also now realize the importance of wearing hair down during this class as tonight I did multiple "hair flips" with only bangs down...A few times I had dudded my first flip and had to give it another go only to have further 'critched' my neck. It's really not sexy to be in your back arch position supposed to be running your hands through your hair only to be 'simulating' it with a claw like hand...How are you supposed to run your hands through your hair when it's up?.. So next week I will do something that I haven't done in a while - let loose and wear my hair down!

Fitness Log:
Today: Pole Dancing
Tomorrow: Yoga

2 comments:

  1. You go girl, When I was in it the first routine song was Kid Rocks Cowboy:) Loved It!!
    Now you can understand why after 10 years of short hair my desire to grow it back, it's all about the flip and I just want one last chance at it.
    It's a very liberating class maybe next time round I will join you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it ever - I told Mike that I'm going to 'sexy walk' down the aisle. He now officially thinks I've lost my marbles:)

    ReplyDelete