Friday, March 5, 2010

Fitness Pole Dancing

Last night I tried my first Fitness Pole Dancing Class. I decided to try this after I couldn't find another class (that I was interested in) to fit into my hectic schedule. I thought - let's give it a whirl (pun intended) for a laugh and for something different. I also thought that maybe it would help me get out of my comfort zone and not be AS shy....

At the start of the class (which my sister and I are the only students) the instructor informed us that everything in the class is done slow and sensual. From the warm up to the mat work everything is deliberate and supposedly 'sexy'. We walked around the room doing a sexy walk, got down on the mat and channeled our inner goddess, did some twirls on the pole and by the end of the class I realized the following things:
- I don't move as smooth as I thought;
- I am not as flexible as I thought - yes, we did splits:)
- I enjoy being around my sister but really can't watch her 'travel' her hands down her body while moving her hips....

By the end of the hour, I felt empowered and excited to see what this 8 week journey will bring. My sister and I both really enjoyed it and I would recommend this class to all women (all fitness levels, age, size). I first was trying to get my head around thinking that when I was looking in the mirror I was dancing FOR someone. How liberating was it when I realized I was dancing/moving/hip rolling for MYSELF! What a new concept to me to try to see myself as sexy and sensual. I started loosing up a bit and feeling alive :)

This class does challenge the body - upper body strength, core strength and flexibility are what I can mostly see from class 1 are it's targets. There are 8+ levels which steadily increase in difficulty. You will break a sweat at this class and it's done in a private room so that you, instructor and classmates are the only ones seeing the lovely display of femininity.

Log of fitness hours:
Yesterday - 1 hour of pole dancing
Today - Moksha Yoga and UFIT



3 comments:

  1. Steph! This sounds like such a fun class! Thanks for starting this blog, i think it will motivate me as well to get my ass moving more! Good Job!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. hurray steph!! I love it! laughed out loud at the "traveling hands"

    You're a machine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad your trying this one it is such a blast and a really good workout!!!

    ReplyDelete