Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Waking up to a Water Workout


Swimming has always been a love of mine, obviously...:) - nothing's better than hitting the water early in the morning. The moment you feel the cool water on your face it's like an instant wake up call and ready to take on the world. Being underwater is such a calming feeling - if you can float you're able to lay on the surface relaxed and block out the hustle and bustle of life around you. Becs and I experienced this at 6:15am this morning. All I can say is, it's been a while since I've done a pool workout!
I asked Becs to go to the lane swim this morning at CARI due to my foot/calf injury. I also wanted to try getting back into swimming for cross training. I made up the following intro/beginner workout for us this morning to get us back into the groove:
1) 200m warm up (medium pace)
2) 4x50m - front flutter sprint, slow flutter
3) 4x50m - back, free (arms only)
4) 2x50m - breast stroke, windsprint
5) 3,5,7,9 (breathe ever 3 strokes, 5 strokes, ...)
6) 200m cool down (slow laps)
10 mins stretching in hot tub - yes, it's part of the 'workout'.
As I put on a purple (slightly molded....it's been a while...) bathing cap, black goggles and my newly purchased noseplug - I looked the part and frankly, that's 1/2 the battle. I hit the water and started off with a bang - oh what a feeling! I was gliding through the water and thinking "this isn't so bad". Second lap - I started feeling my breathing getting heavier, 3rd lap - my arms were starting to feel heavy and legs slightly burning... As I got 1/2 way through the warm up I was thinking - I must have been crazy to think that Becs and I could get through all of this. Things did get better for me - after the bod warmed up but I had forgotten how hard swimming can be.....I've realized starting to do these pool workouts - there's not too much of a difference between my flutter "sprinting" and my slow flutter - however my legs do feel the effort. The workout took us 30mins and we had a great time! Aside from the overall experience, the hot tub was the best part:)

Injury update: So really - I believe my so called "injury" was a muscle knot in my calf with referred pain into my foot. My mom worked on my calf, I iced it, I heated it, I stretched it and now, it's better. The healing fairy (Mom) worked her magic and I'm almost as good as new:) Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment