Tuesday, May 11, 2010

"Dance Like Nobody's Watching"

Getting up at a wedding dance, staff party, house gathering, or bar can be awkward at the best of times. Losing yourself in the music is tough because whether you'd like to admit it or not - people are watching...Maybe not solely focused on you but watching the dancing people wondering "I hope Britney Spears comes on" (maybe that's just me...) or "please don't pull me up now" or better yet "where did he/she get those moves:)". I used to be the type of dancer that needed a couple drinks to give me the courage to get up on the floor and bust it out. These days, I have been experiencing 'sober dancing' and it's a whole new world for me. I have recently been practicing at home my new dance style. It's a mixture of a head bob, half fist pump (alternating sides) with a few mini pelvis thrusts. It may sound like an erratic style because, well, it is. However, it's fun and I get a good laugh at myself as I'm practicing. It evolved from a sillier dance that I choreographed for Mike to help make him smile and laugh. The game of getting him to laugh was just the creative inspiration I needed. I have now mastered the 'Just Do It' attitude and quickly get myself to the dance floor at events. I start with a slight bounce, toe tap, hip swing and occasional snap. Just recently, while at the athlete's banquet for Nationals I found myself, reverting to my new 'house' dance on the floor.... As a new trendy song came on - possibly Justin Beiber - I went to the dance floor and the Beiber fever came out of me. For a minute (or 1/2 a song) I was 'dancing like no one was watching'. Amazing. Never thought that would happen as I can be painfully shy. I was smiling, laughing, trying new moves and didn't think "when is this song going to be over...". Dancing is also a great form of exercise - you can work up a sweat while having fun. So, my advice to everyone is to practice dancing at home, make a game of it, let loose and laugh:)
For creative inspiration check out Elaine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQu_NLRvULM

1 comment:

  1. You crack me up! You were givin 'er like no one was watching at that banquet. Good for you Steph!

    ReplyDelete