Sunday, May 2, 2010

"Pride and Prejudice"

This week has been one I'll remember and 'chalk up' to one of the best meets I've ever been to. As the 2010 Canadian Open Synchronized Swimming Championships come to a close, it's bitter sweet. I feel such amazing amount of pride today because I'm a Naiad and because of that, don't want the season to end. Throughout this competition the athletes, parents, community, sport organization supported us in a way that makes me emotional thinking about it. At the competition's close I could sum it up with the concepts of Pride and Prejudice. Pride - in the fact that our athletes and coaches worked their hardest this season, worked as a team, fostered a healthy club atmosphere and performed at our best. Prejudice - in the predetermined belief that the above would be true. I never doubted the ability of the Charlottetown Naiads or parents (Open meet manager Lucille and organizing committee) to be able to carry this event through at a high standard and represent us well. I've learned a lot watching these women carry out the tasks, deal with the pressure, stresses and unknowns and on top of it all - still able to smile:) WOW!
Although the next few months will be filled with planning for the next season, organizing and training - it's not the same as our weekly visits to the pool.
To me - winning or losing wasn't what this experience was all about - it was about developing a stronger sense of synchro community and 'thrusting' us into the next level. Ahhh...What a feeling!
Now - back to fitness training - as I was maxed out at the pool this week, Becs and I were on sabbatical from running. We're getting back at it Tuesday or Wednesday this week and then it's full steam ahead. Oh - and in 14 days I'll be in Vegas.....just saying....:)

No comments:

Post a Comment