Saturday, May 8, 2010

911 What is Your Emergency.....?

Everyday, people may feel like they have an 'emergency' on their hands and are inclined to dial 911 for help...Be it neighbors driving "them nuts", to youths "causing a racket", or someone noticing their window "shattered to smithereens" - I hear it all. Sometimes I wonder - how does this person think this is an 'emergency'...? Until today.....
Becs and I went out at approx 1:30pm to do our 5.9k training route. As we started with our 5min warmup fast walk - I felt like the muscles were a little tight. As we got into our running, things were looking better - I was starting to loosen up and felt like I was achieving something. The fresh spring air cooled my itchy sunburnt face (yes, tanning bed disaster), I could hear the birds chirping (cliche, I know) and life was good. We got to the 2.5k mark and suddenly Becs foot got an excruciating pain in it - we didn't think we could go on. As I proceeded to try to calm her down (she was discouraged and had to stop running) and advise her to 'listen to her body', I could feel my right calf tightening up and burning.... Hmm...At this point I thought - well this is just great! We both limped down North Queen Elizabeth Drive with the wind out of our sails. 5 mins later - Becs thought she may be able to try to run again - Bonus! We started up again and had awesome 3.5 minute stints of running all the way home. 41mins and 25secs later - we arrived back at the Gee homestead - sweaty, tired, stiff, but proud of ourselves for "pushing through". I sat down and replayed the 41mins to the folks, got up and stretched and noticed my right foot was extremely tender to stand on. We then headed to the Superstore for some last minute Mother's Day supplies and I was increasingly lame and limp on my right side. Upon arriving at my house, I came through the door stating "I'm taking a turn and it's down injured street"... Mike, I'm sure, was thinking - oh the drama! I heated my calf, iced my foot, had a nap and woke up in worse condition. I started understanding WHY some may think that the not REAL emergencies may really be an emergency.
If my foot is injured this could:
- Threaten my training schedule and progress
- Make me fearful to run
and
- Torture myself on my trip - walking around seeing the sights would NOT be fun!
Yes, it is small beans to some - but for my simple life - this is an emergency! I pray that when I wake tomorrow, the healing fairies will have fixed my poor foot/calf and I can put this behind me....fingers crossed!

So, needless to say today was one of those days that I felt like dialing 911, however 9 times out of 10, I would get myself....

Fitness Log:
Today - 5.9kms - 3.5min run, 1min walk - 41:25

http://www.holytaco.com/9-funny-911-calls - Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment