Thursday, May 6, 2010

6km Run/Walk

Yesterday, Becs and I got back to our training schedule (took break for Nationals) and decided to start measuring the distance of our running (instead of going by time)and do 3mins run/1 min walk. We hopped in her civic, reset the odometer and took a scoot around the block by my house. If I had to guess the distance around my block I would have said (before yesterday) "a good 4k's"...As we rounded the last corner to my house it I couldn't believe my eyes when the odometer read 2.5..."2.5 K's?!?!" I can't believe how long a "K" actually is. So, after realizing that the block was exactly 3k's to my driveway we decided to run it twice. Things started off rocky - heavy breathing, stiff muscles but at about 25mins into the routine, I started to feel like I was finally warmed up. I can't believe that it took me 25mins to warm up....Yikes. The whole 6kms took us 45mins and after googling what 6kms usually takes a person - the general consensus is 30-35mins. Hmmmm.....We could probably achieve this if we started running right at the beginning of the route (instead of walking 5mins to "warm up") and if we kept a respectable pace throughout. Needless to say we still have lots of work ahead of us but are back at it and going stronger than ever. On Saturday, we have a 3.5min run/1 min walk scheduled so hopefully that goes well. I must admit - the body is feeling pretty good - no aches or pains today! YAY!
Do a little more each day than you think you possibly can.
-Lowell Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment