Thursday, September 23, 2010

Relax, Would Ya?

Learning how to relax is like learning a new language. It's not easy but can be achieved with practice and more practice. I find these days when I'm stressed it hits me like a ton of bricks. My heart rate elevates, I get antsy and have trouble focusing. Why? Because I have learned how to relax. It's been a process, has taken a lot of practice but has been sooooooo worth it. I'm almost hypersensitive to stress and worry. It's like I've quit a substance - my tolerance is down and I get intoxicated off of it in an instant.

Here are some things that have helped me learn to relax:
- believe that I'm worth having 'me' time
- decided what activities, surroundings, people bring me joy
- dedicate time daily to 'zoning' out
- exercising
- being honest with my feelings, not holding things in
- trying to keep myself organized
- sending out positive energy to others
- yoga
- hydration

My best friend gave me the most valuable book a few years back - "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living". Just looking at the book is a wake up call. Worry is the root (in my opinion) to illness, stress and lack of energy. Some of us say "we can't help it" or "that's just the way I am". However, teaching yourself to focus on the controllable factors i.e. your reactions to events, persons, situations is achievable. Again, takes practice!

Why write about this? To remind myself to relax, manage stress and shift my focus. That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment