Sunday, September 19, 2010

Run Stephanie Run

I just got back from my first intense 15km run. Mike decided that we should be training on more hills so at 8am this morning we set off. He has this new way of warming up for us called 'striders' where you typically try increasing your stride to open up your hips and warm up the muscles. As I look like a complete moron doing it - it makes for a good laugh at the start of a 1hour and 40 minute adventure. Our first hill adventure was Sherwood Rd (from lower malpeque to brackley point). I started off very confident and almost thinking "come on, where's the challenge". Almost... As we run by the Humane Society, I am discussing the delightful possibilities of adopting a dog someday that I can hook to my waist and have run along with us. Ahh... to dream. As we pass by Island Construction I'm thinking "oh I miss Bec, wonder what she's doing now...." and then I say - "jeez Mike this isn't that hard". He smirks and nods. Then like a ton of bricks - the wall hit and I was doing everything I could just to keep forward motion. Note to self: Don't ever think something is too easy, enjoy the moment....
We then made our way to Brackley Point Road and enjoyed the new (or new to me) Multipurpose trail. We chatted, settled in and were taking in the awesome morning. At about the 4th hill we encountered I started feeling this burning sensation in my hamstrings. Never have felt this before... I continue pushing through but at the point of me dragging my legs behind me and going at a snail's pace Mike suggests we walk out the "cramping" that I'm experiencing..

CRAMPING??? IS THIS WHAT CRAMPING FEELS LIKE? All these times where I thought cramping was a charlie horse. I have never felt anything like it.

We walked for approx 7mins as I did some more striders, contemplated life and tried to visualize myself making it home in one piece. After the walk, I had this adrenaline rush hit. I started running like the wind and Mike was saying behind me "SLOW DOWN, THIS IS NOT OUR TRAINING PACE" as I was running down hills, up hills, on Winsloe Road. Nothing could stop me.

We finished and I had such a sense of accomplishment, I felt like Dennis in "Run Fat Boy Run". Mike admitted that he never thought that I would be doing this 1/2 Marathon as my attitude was so poor last year. Can't wait til October 18th - it's going to be an awesome day!

Enjoy this clip from "Run Fat Boy Run" - What a great movie! Show's anyone can do it with determination and guts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcTNIAWetRI

Fitness Log:
Sunday - Hot Yoga
Monday -Run 5km
Tuesday - Swimming with Mike
Wednesday - 10km run
Thursday - Hot Yoga
Friday - Rest
Saturday -Rest
Sunday 15km

No comments:

Post a Comment