Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Day For 1st's


Yesterday was my 1st regular WOD class at CrossFit.  Anxious, excited, nervous - I walked in hoping that I wasn't going to be challenged by a workout filled with my "Goats".  As I gave Mike the "Don't Leave Me.." talk before we went in, I was thinking why do I do this to myself, I mean, really WHO really needs to push themselves out of their comfort zone.  This is starting to get old.

I was pleasantly surprised when I walked in with the friendly and greeting fellow crossfitters.  I started to feel more and more comfortable and was even more pleased when I saw what the WOD was:

10 Rounds
3 Snatch width High Pulls
6 Ring Dips
9 Vertical Jumps

As Mike reassured me that this was a great 1st day workout, I was feeling excited to get going.  As I hit my 11th round - did 1 extra as I only used a 35lb bar for the high pulls (could have done heavier weight) I was thrilled with my respectable 5:52 time. 

I can't wait to go back now - what a positive experience.  (Aside from the 1st day jitters!)

I went home at 7:00am 2 inches taller and then awaited my pole dancing class.  I've been finding pole dancing very challenging lately as the techniques are getting quite difficult and my skin (feet, wrists, etc) is feeling the burn - you know, pole burn.  My feet hurt just thinking of it.

I started my class with pole climbs - just like a rope climb except on a pole.  I was never able to rope climb so the mere thought of climbing the pole is intimidating.  The past 2 weeks I haven't been able to get past 'step 1'.  Today, thankfully I got through step 1 AND 2 and am very close to achieving 'step 3' and getting to the top.  As Rick James' "Superfreak" song played I felt as though I was able to take on the world.  I tried multiple spins and inversions and since I was 'on a roll' I decided to do the 'oh so scary' helicopter inversion.  Oh yeah, achieved that too!  Check!

So needless to say, yesterday was a Day for 1st's.  One of those days where you're glad to be alive and feel as though you are living. 

No comments:

Post a Comment