Sunday, February 20, 2011

Community

Every time I go to a regular CrossFit class, I feel anxious, insecure and overwhelmed.  These feelings stem from the challenge that I am faced EVERY time I go.  There's no easy workout.  Just when you think you're done the instructor adds on another set of exercises to work on your "Goats".  By the end, when everyone is stretching, laughing and recovered - I am still dripping sweat and breathing hard.  I'm glad that I don't take myself TOO seriously.

Yesterday, I finally felt what the CrossFit community is all about.

The minute I walked in the door, I was greeted by other CrossFitters, some who I've never met before introduced themselves and helped me understand the workout which was:
8 muscle ups
20 wall balls
6 muscle ups
20 wall balls
4 muscle ups
20 wall balls
2 muscle ups
20 wall balls

I have never done muscle ups before (takes a loooonnnggg time to develop the strength) and wall balls are a 'Goat" of mine.  They knock the wind out of me.  So I decided to go in group 2 so I could see the 'muscle up' progression.  Usually I am encouraging others, yelling an occasional "LET'S GO" or "KEEP  IT UP" but lately shyness and insecurity takes over so I stand there silent (probably with big eyes and a 'really' look on my face).

As I started my workout, immediately people where egging me on.  Mike was by my side helping me get through the wall balls (2 of which came down and hit me in the face - just had to laugh), and I felt as though I had 20 cheerleaders helping me get through this workout.  By round 4, I had another CrossFitter by my side helping me get through each rep and correcting my form.  I was the last to finish the workout but that didn't bother me.  I finally felt 'part of the group'.

After this workout - not even close to ready to start another workout - the instructor had us do:
5 toes to bar
3 Handstand pushups
for 8mins - on the minute

Again - I was thankful to have Mike by my side helping me get into the hand stands and 'trying' to fix my technique in the toes to bar.  Makes everything easier when you have support.

The community is what keeps me coming back to work on my fitness.  I enjoy the group and thrive on the 'Let's go Stephanie" 's that are being yelled out during class.  Everyone has been in my position before and it's awesome to see that they are encouraging me to succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment