Monday, February 14, 2011

Wittman

Wittman - My Archenemy....

Friday night Mike and I attended my 2nd WOD class (you know, with the 'big kids').  As we went to the 5:30pm class I had a chance to look to see what the workout was from the morning group... It just so happened to be a "HERO" workout (one of the tougher Crossfit workouts).  Trying to stay positive, I psyched myself up to be a HERO and complete it.

Wittman consisted of:
5 or 7 rounds of:
15 Kettlebell Swings
15 Power Cleans - started with 55lbs then down to 45lbs (for me)
15 Box Jumps - 20"

I barely did 5 rounds.

As I waited for my turn, I got more and more anxious as it appeared that this workout was challenging the fitter people in the group...I decided to jump in on the 2nd group so that if I 'hopefully' wouldn't be the last person finishing and away I went.

Round 1 - not so bad - got through everything pretty well.  By Round 3 the instructor gave me a lighter bar with lighter weights as it appeared that my form was going to the sh***er.  Round 4 I was doing 1 power clean at a time and the 5th round it took everything I had NOT to throw up everywhere.  (Not a good sign when Mike is laying on the floor after the workout TRYING not to pass out...).  By the end of the torture, I had the shaky arm feeling, the angry/irritable attitude (happens when I get tired) and just wanted to go home.  I could feel my back seizing up and knew I had to get some ice on it quickly.

Later that evening Mike and I went to Off Broadway for a special Valentine's Day (sugar free - no chocolatey dessert for me) meal.  As we sat chatting my back was seizing up at a considerable rate and I knew I would be up for some pain the next day.

I returned to CrossFit Saturday morning to 'give it another go' and was feeling - stiff/sore but thought if I kept moving I wouldn't turn into a rock statue.  We did another difficult workout - 60 walking lunges each leg, ring rows, back squat body weight and this was the end of my back.

Hardly able to move on Saturday night without having the wind knocked out of me and saying 'ahhh' or 'ooohh' with every movement - I had a complete back spasm.  Nothing would help - A535 was just used for the aroma, heat was a tease, stretching would just make it lock up more, laying down was not an option, sitting was not an option, sleep was DEFINITELY not an option. I was miserable.   I ended up "sleeping" on the couch propped up in a 45 degree angle and cursing myself for 'pushing it' too hard. 

When am I going to learn?

It's Monday today and thanks to my mom who spent an hour last night trying to work out the muscles in my back, I was able to sleep last night.  I'm better however still quite sore.  I'm humbled and I have learned a valuable lesson.  I need to start with much lighter weight so I can get my form down.   

EUREKA - I've got it! 

On another note:  Tomorrow's my big day where I'll find out how my body has responded to all of this hard work.  Thank you everyone for your encouragement.  I'm hoping it's going to be a great day tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment