Thursday, February 17, 2011

What's Standing In the Way?

Today,  I went to my second Naturopathic Doctor's appointment  and was thrilled as Mike came along with me to talk about my progress.  I love his support - what a gem:)  The Doctor was pleased with my commitment to the 'plan'.  It was nice to hear her feedback.

Throughout the consultation she asked me "What do you think is standing in the way of you staying on this diet long-term?"

I thought for a second and responded:

1- Cost - Healthy foods DO cost more.  Our grocery bill has gone up $70.00/week
2- Variety - I am not bored of anything yet but fear I may in the future.
3- Social Pressure - I am constantly faced with the "Aw come on's....", "1 isn't going to kill you", "Do you really think that you'll never have a piece of cake again?", "Oh you "healthy" people"... and the list goes on.

I then explained how great I feel and how I really don't miss anything on a day-to-day basis.  Yes, I've thought about Nachos, I once fantasized about a cheeseburger and pop, I sometimes think about Pizza but the times that this happens are far and few between.  I don't miss sweets and feel very satisfied with the foods I'm eating now.  I don't have spikes in my blood sugar or suffer from 'weak spells' when I get hungry (as I used to). 

As Mike and I have been focusing on healthy eating since we've been together, it was an easier adjustment for me to commit to the 'plan'.  By no means do I think I'm perfect when it comes to food, however I have been diligent and committed to this process.  I was proud to say that in 6 weeks I didn't have 1 cheat day!

Before going through "Project Fertile", eating well for my own health and well being wasn't really a good enough excuse for me.  I would binge eat any chance I got (away from home) and had a hard time staying committed to anything.  So YES I understand how people struggle with food.  When you are eating sugary, fatty snacks/meals - your body wants MORE of them.  I had NO self-control when it came to food.  NONE.  I would make myself sick when I would go to parties binging on dips, chips, fried foods, candies, etc.  Oh the misery I went through.  Without my infertility issues, I MAY have not turned this around.  Again, I was not a good enough excuse.

As Mike and I had been following the "Zone" diet before my newer eating plan (Him moreso than Me), we were always looking for new recipes, food pairings, etc.  Mike came across a diet (I use diet in the best sense of the word) called the "Flat Belly Solution".  Very trendy, appealing name but is pretty much the Zone diet for Dummies. It also lines up with my sugar-free diet and the advice the NDoc gave me as well.  If you can get past the look of the 'books' (PDF documents) meaning the colorful, advertising style of writing, and get to the meat and potatoes of the info, it's really great stuff.  Mike and I purchased the online PDF's and would gladly share them with anyone interested.
Just email me at stephaniebg24@yahoo.com and I'll forward you the info.  There's a recipe guide, meal planners, etc. 

I am thankful for the experience I've had to date with trying to become a mother. I feel as though I'm finally ready to have a child and will look at the child as a gift and not a burden (as I once thought).  I am committed to sticking with my sugar-free, organic diet as my 3 worries are not deal breakers.  I must say though, it get's my goat why healthy foods prices are constantly rising and the less than healthy foods prices are going down.  I may need a third job......

No comments:

Post a Comment