Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Survival of the "Not So" Fittest

Anxious about my 1st day 'playing with the big kids' (regular WOD Crossfit members), I walked into the Gym and was greeted by friendly faces.  We warmed up, split into teams of 3 and were given our 1st workout:
Workout #1
50 pullups
100 air squats

50 PULLUPS - I thought.  The most I've ever done is 5!

As I started the workout with my team (regular members) - I got through 6 without a problem.  As I got to the 7-10, I knew this was going to be a challenging workout day for me.  Minutes later (felt like hours) I finished 48 pull ups.  I had to do 3-4, rest, 3-4 more, rest....and so on.

I started my air squats with my arms shaking uncontrollably.  I got through my first 50 squats and realized my team mates were done of both their sets.  I then proceeded to do my second 50 without resting as I didn't want to let my team down.

TIME!  I called out - and then rested for approx 3mins. 

At this point, my arms still shaking, legs jello - I was feeling unsure whether I'd get through the next workout.

Workout #2
Move 2500 pounds - could break it up however you wanted ie. I had 55lbs to lift so I had to lift this 45x......

As I was doing a lighter weight than my teammates, I had to start 1st.  My 1st 10 reps went well - during my break time, I knew this was going to be TOUGH.  As I set out for my second set of 10 - the nausea, weakness and overall body fatigue kicked in.  I got through it.  On my 3rd set of 10, I got through 4 reps and at this point - couldn't feel my body, I was weak all over and shaking uncontrollably.  It was then that I broke into tears on my knees and knew I could not finish... 

Why the tears?
- I was completely fatigued and could not control my emotions
- I was upset as I thought I was letting my team down
- I was overwhelmed with the intensity

The instructor, at this point, said - "Ok Stephanie, you're done".  I got myself over to the wall, with my tail between my legs knowing that on Monday, December 27th - the team workout Kicked my Ass!  Mike came over to offer his condolences and I sat embarassed about my earned title of "The Girl who Cried at Crossfit" (self labeled). 

At the end of the workout the "Cash Out" was 40 Handstand PushUps.  I did not attempt this as I could not feel my arms.

The Moral of this Story - I gave the workout everything I had.  I can walk away with my head held high knowing that I tried my best.  If I never tried this workout because of fear, I would never know what my body is capable of.  Really, I think I did pretty darn good considering that I'm in my 1st month of basics.  I am not the fittest in the group but I am trying. 

Shout out to Alyson and Mike who are machines!  What an awesome day for them.  They powered through the workouts and had some left to give at the end.  I am proud to call them my friends and support system!

PS - I came back to Crossfit class this morning and did another challenging workout.  Sore, fatigued and still humbled - I again did my best....

No comments:

Post a Comment