Sunday, August 22, 2010

Training for the 1/2


Training for the 1/2 marathon has been quite an adventure. From the short, not so easy runs, to the long "dig deep" kind of runs - you have to wonder when, if at all, it will get easier. I keep telling myself and my sister that it takes great mental strength to run a marathon (or 1/2 of one). The only way I know this is that more times than not, I've felt like quitting but because I've set a goal, it's not an option.
This past Friday, Becs and I set out for our 1st 16km run (longest to date). At 20mins in, Becs felt terrible rib pain and queezy. As we hoped to do 16kms in 1hour and 40mins - we had a long ways to go to complete the run and she was in lots of pain at the start. As I was determined not to quit and use this as training for the unforseen circumstances - we carried on. The rest of the run was walking/running but we made it through. I was proud of Becs for 'digging deep' and getting it done. Although it was not enjoyable, it was an experience and another notch on the training belt. 2 hours later we arrived at my parents house - sore, hungry, frustrated and relieved.
Moral of this story: we set the rules for ourselves, set goals and work to achieve them under any circumstance, dig deep and find the positive in the 'not so positive' times and keep on keepin on!
Fitness Log:
Friday: 16km run/walk
Saturday: 45mins swimming

No comments:

Post a Comment