Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I Ain't No Gummie....


"Ain't No Mountain High Enough...."
"Ain't No Valley Low Enough....
"Ain't No River Wide Enough....
"To Keep Me From Getting to You Baby..."


This was the song that my sisters and I serenaded each other with hand gestures at my cousins wedding on July 24th. Arms up, Arms down, Fingers pointed at my sisters and open (with soul)... and the dancing went on. It was a beautiful, elegant, special day for the eldest Gee girl (cousin). If I could, I would bottle the day up and put in on a shelf to open when I need a pick me up. I was so happy for her and to see the extended family - which I don't get to see often enough.

After over indulging at the Candy Bar (got to work on self control asap) and dancing the night away (or until 11:30pm), I was so excited to get home and continue planning my nuptials. As I was completely enthralled with the candy bar and the possibility of having my favorite gummie candies at my wedding, I soon remembered that I had cut myself off gummies 2.5 years ago. OOPS! At this time, I would literally go to Shopper's Drug Mart on my way home from work, grab a bag of "Real" Fruit gummies and head home to devour these candies as if it was my job. By the end of the bag, I would have the sugar rush of the century, sore teeth and an ounce of shame. I continued this pattern for months and decided that it was time.

Quitting gummies was not easy. Anytime I was in a store, they would stare me down. Swedish Berries, Fuzzy Peaches, Real Fruits, Wine Gums....my mouth waters thinking of them. I would quickly have to turn away for fear I would slip and grab a bag. I replaced Gummies with Gum and my life appeared to be better.....Until July 24th where I lost control and made a pig of myself at the Candy Bar. 3.5 bags of gummies later and I felt sick. I couldn't stop myself, cankers started forming inside my mouth and as I went up for my 3rd full bag of candy - the photographer snapped photos of my smiling face as I stared down at the jars. "Well this is just great" - I thought. Evidence!

It's ironic that "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" started playing shortly after my last binge as when I start eating the gummies, I can't stop. Nothing could keep me away from them, not even a mountain, valley or river. Needless to say, I will NOT be having a Candy Bar at my wedding for my own personal health and well-being. I love the idea of this and only wish I could exert self control when candy is in my presence. Since I can't I will have to punish myself and go 'free from' candy at my wedding.

Love is sweet, have a treat! If only I could..............

No comments:

Post a Comment