Sunday, August 8, 2010

"My Crow's Are the Blackest"


I've had a short summer break from my blog - not because I wanted to, just because my grandmother took sick and passed away on Wednesday, August 4th at 12:30am. It was upsetting as during her last few days she was in a lot of pain. I felt as if I was on an emotional rollar coaster. In the time, I didn't feel like writing. I frankly was so exhausted from the emotional strain that all I wanted to do was sleep.

After my Grammie's passing, I kept having the desire to read at the funeral. Why? Not sure - I think because I wanted to remember the good times and not focus on the bad days at the end. My bestfriend also read at her father's funeral so I thought - if she can do it, then I should be able to. In preparing my speech, I was calm and anxious to tell everyone how great a lady my Grammie was. I have spent a lot of time with her, cleaning her house, visiting, lots of lunches and dinners. I am lucky.

The day of the funeral, I felt emotional. Possibly anticipating the reading and because we had to say our final goodbye to Grammie that morning. It was a beautiful ceremony, one that I know she would have liked. I got through the reading and felt a sense of relief after.

Here is the reading. Enjoy!

Grammie
Fancy jewelry, the color purple, shopping, apple pies, chop suey, Walmart, slacks and pickles/relish are all things that make me think of my grandmother.

Grammie's happiest moments were when she was surrounded by her family. She didn't want for much - only to hear laughter, see smiles and listen to everyone's stories. Grammie, I'm sure, could have been a professional people watcher.

She was so proud of all of her family and just the thought of any of her grandchildren would bring a smile to her face. As she would say - "Her crows are the blackest".

As grandchildren, some of our fondest memories of Grammie were camping, sleepovers, decorating the Christmas tree, getting "pills" (as she would reach into her pantry for a handfull of rockets), coming for impromptu lunches and bringing friends and having lots of traditional family dinners.

Grammie loved animals - especially dogs. She would always have a pocket full of treats and would giggle as the dogs would push her out the door to get their traditional departure treat. Aaron, Amanda and Erica's dog Becky would even run away from home and land on Grammie's doorstep. Grammie also named a crow "Edgar" after a friend and neighbor of hers. She would leave food out for him daily to make sure he was taken care of.

Grammie taught us a lot of valuable life lessons. She knew the value of a dollar, held a high standard for herself and family, and had integrity. She knew what she did and didn't like and wasn't scared to share her opinion. As grandchildren, we always loved Grammie's saying like:
"Eat your carrots so you can see in the dark"
"Well...isn't he a tall glass of water"
"Don't trust a man with bangs"

And if she was here today she'd probably say:
"Clean your plate so it will be a fine day tomorrow"...


Fitness Log
Despite all of the craziness, I have been getting out to run and swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment