Friday, June 11, 2010

The "See It, Try It" Lifestyle

Searching for inspiration for new things to try - I googled "new things to try"...original, I know. I was amazed on how simple google is. It can interpret my every question and find an appropriate answer. The #1 result under "new things to try" was "How to exercise an open mind"....Hmm, does that mean that people who want to continue to try new things have closed minds - I think not!
So, here are some ways to exercise an open mind:
#1 - Stimulate your ears differently. Try different music you haven't tried before: Classical, New Age, Zouk, Rap, Mariachi, Country, Afro-Blues. You don't have to like it at first, but if you keep an open mind, you can still find it interesting. Listen to a radio station you typically don't listen to.
#2 - Stimulate your eyes in new ways. Go to a cheap or free art gallery. Even if you think it's bad art, it can still be stimulating and thought provoking
#3 - Learn about different people and lifestyles. A great gateway into this is Wikipedia, where you can read articles on a wide variety of practices, such as Swinging, Wicca, Christianity, the Green Party, Conservatism, Communism, Anarchism, Sunnis, Discordianism, Tutsis, and the Yakuza. Consider how many members they have worldwide. Volunteer with an organization that works with a community of people you are unfamiliar with.
#4 - While waiting (in line at the bank, a coffee shop, a restaurant, the grocery store, or waiting for someone to pick you up, or a show on TV to start), ponder things, calculate, memorize. You can, for example, memorize digits of Pi (you can get to 50 in a matter of hours, 200 in a matter of weeks), try to remember all of your high school teachers' names, memorize Prime Numbers, get fast at reciting the alphabet backwards, the Greek alphabet (forwards and backwards), remember how many movies Tom Cruise has been in, try Doubling numbers, start at 1, to 2, to 4, to 8, till you get to larger numbers than you can handle.

(Betcha stopped reading the last one mid paragraph...:) )

And the list goes on.. (above taken from http://www.wikihow.com/Exercise-an-Open-Mind)

Not exactly what I was looking for, however the answers did get me thinking about my See it...Try it... quest. So far, I've started running again, danced like no one is watching, started lap swimming, got "back to basics" with biking, started Yoga, discovered my inner goddess with Pole Dancing, tried kettlebells, attempted self-control, reflected on previous exercise quests, completed pilates Level 1 mat and Level 2 cardiolates and adapted to the zone lifestyle. Now what? Maybe it's time to focus on my whole lifestyle instead of focusing solely on fitness. As I'm approaching the dirty 30's, I would like to stick with my fitness regime and continue to try new things like:
- condition my taste buds to spicy foods ie. would like to try Thai
- go white water rafting
- fly first class
- watch the Lord of the Rings series
- rollar blade/rollar skate
- grow my own vegetables
- catch up with old friends
- travel to Paris, Vatican City, Italy

Don't get me wrong - I'm grateful for the life I have - family, friends, fiance, job, passions and am proud of what I've accomplished so far. I'm so pleased with myself that I've had an awesome year. I can't wait to cross the finish line at the PEI marathon and have a great summer completing my "Summer To Do List". Now it's just time to set my sights higher :)

Fitness Log:
Saturday - Pole Dancing, Biking
Sunday - Swimming
Monday - nothing
Tuesday - Sick - YUK!
Wednesday - Sick - YUK!
Thursday - Pole Dancing

No comments:

Post a Comment