Saturday, June 26, 2010

Do You Believe..... In Training?


I believe that accomplishing a goal is always mind over matter.

This past week Becs and I graduated to straight running. I purposely decided not to write a post until I did 2 runs in a row and made it out ok. It's always a mind game for me. As I'm getting ready to do my straight running I'm thinking of the burn in my lungs, cramps in my legs and thinking "will I have the will power to make it through...". I should not let my mind get to me but I worry about all the unknowns and what ifs. What if it's windy and I can't make it through. What if I didn't eat enough/ate too much before I ran. What if I just don't have it. As all of these things have been running through my head this week, ironically my sister was looking for advice and I told her to not "worry about the what if's"....

Maybe I should practice what I preach.

So, of course I made it through both runs beautifully and frankly could have kept running when I stopped. I felt like a runner, looked like a runner (yes, I have short running shorts - sexy), talked like a runner (talked about 'settling in', stiches, pacing, etc) and even gave a thumbs up to another runner as I was passing them panting. I should have believed in my preparations by building myself up to straight running. I should have believed in myself and my training.

So I've had an awesome training week and accomplished some goals. So why doesn't it feel as good as I'd like.....? I've biked, swam 2x, ran 2x but none of it's worth it to me if I can't switch my mindset. You know, celebrate the small accomplishments. Relish in the fact that I'm out at 615am swimming or even running at all. Celebrate the lifestyle changes I've made and my health. Celebrate my happiness. Not wait to see if I succeed....Believe in training.

No comments:

Post a Comment