Friday, May 20, 2011

The Dating Game

As I take the plunge next week into marriage, I thought it appropriate to take a look back at my single life....

I've had 2 other significant relationships and maybe a bakers dozen of insignificant relationships.  The 2 'significant ones' which I consider gifts both had their learning curves - as I'm sure all relationships do.  I wouldn't consider myself a pro at relationships moreso a pain in the butt (I see it now, then - not so much).  I was needy, codependent and of course, perfect. :)

What always got my goat was the 'search for the next one'.  While I was single for approx 2 years (between sig rel 2 and Mike) I was always searching for the next "one".  I did my research - I would scope out the scene looking for the men without rings (which I've come to learn that a lot of married men do not wear rings - not a sure sign ladies), I would try to market myself (not to single men but to people who were already attached or my friends as that was my comfort zone), I would go for the occasional cruise (not sure what I'd find but thought that maybe a single man would jump out in front of my car), I would wait home for the 'one' to ring my doorbell,  I would frequent the same spots as I was determined to find someone at the places I liked.  As you probably can tell, this did not work for me.  At the time, I was hopeful and told myself one day it would come.  From time to time, during my lonely moments/periods, I would research dating.  I purchased books like "Don't be That Girl" and "Codependent No More" to help find the answers on how to attract a mate.  (I can't say that I found the answers but I did become self aware and let's face it, it killed time).  I would google "how to find a man" for insight.  The hunting period was exhausting and an emotional rollercoaster for me....  Excited because of a prospect, disappointed as it may not develop into anything.  Energetic to go out in a new outfit, buyers remorse at the end of the night as it was slim pickin's. 

Oh the memories.....
After my research period, I tried dating a couple of guys and found that it was physically and mentally demanding.  Some people love it, and to them - I applaud.  It was tiring for me, it was like a sport and I was in the pre-competitive portion of the season, all the time.  Rejection or a 'low score' would be crushing.  I tried 'plenty of fish' for 3 days until someone asked for my picture and when I sent it, I never heard back from him.  That was my 1st experience with someone out and out rejecting me because of my looks. 

I deleted my account the next day.

I tried meeting men in bars, which never worked.  I was too nice and would give my number (yes, my real number) to anyone.  Then I wouldn't answer my phone for days - just in case the bar man would call.   When I did get up the nerve to give a fake number (lesson learned) to someone - I had a uncomfortable confrontation at University where the guy 'called me out' in front of a full computer lab about giving a fake number. I even, in a drunken stuper put my name in his phone as Steppphdidn - as he was calling me out he was calling me "Stepphididn". How embarrassing.

While I was out at a party one night, I met a foreigner and instantly my prospect radar went off.  I chatted with him all night, trying to be funny yet sweet.  I met up with him a couple of weekends - in a row - and let my heart start to wonder.  Thinking that he may be interested I tried to give him my number - this is when he told me he had a girlfriend.

In between embarrassing moments I practiced convincing myself that some guys I already knew would be good to date.  Conscious - check, Breathing - check,  Chemistry - ......ch...ec...k..... Who needs Chemistry anyways eh?

I then started to enjoy the dating game.  I was a player and the world of men was my oyster.  I developed confidence in myself and was able to laugh at the uncomfortable situations.  I was learning from my mistakes and would sometimes just not give my number at all (imagine!).  I grew an inch taller and things started coming together for me.  I opened my mind to any possibility and the walls came down.  I started to take control of my single life and that's when it happened.

Mike and I worked together a year before starting to date.  I was going through the dating ups and downs and he was starting to talk to me more at work.  I would kid around with him and I would catch myself giggling or smiling when he entered the room.  When he finally asked me out - I was feeling great about myself and was ready for a relationship. (The previous 2 years I hadn't been - thought I was but my actions were different).  Dating him wasn't a game or sport - it was exciting, comfortable and 'felt right'.  This is how I knew on Date 2 that we would get married.  Of course, I didn't say that to him (come on strong much?) but I did tell everyone else.... hehe....

No comments:

Post a Comment