Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Phantom Adventure


This time next week Mike will be heading home from a 36hour Adventure Race in Northern New Brunswick called "Race the Phantom". This is his first time trying something of this nature and to be honest, I'm so excited for him and stand just a little taller knowing that he's my man.
This adventure consists of the unknown. Not for the directionally challenged teams will go where normal people would not dare. Treking through water, woods and back roads (trek, bike, kayak) - who knows, the 20 teams may end up in YOUR backyard. Well, not likely unless you live in NB or Quebec. Dressed in fast drying clothing, headlamps, back packs, mosquito nets - these men and women will be prepared to be self sufficient for up to 20hours. Nuts and berrys, energy gels and water will be their nourishment for hours. Sleep - not likely. This race will command the mentally tough to dig deep and demolish the weak.
Navigation will play a key role in completing this race. As there will be time markers for 3 legs, if a team gets lost they will be disqualified and well.....lost.... I hope that Mike's team is observant on their trek and stay focused on the sun as when Mike and I were in Philidelphia we walked in circles trying to find the IHOP. Our daily dialogue consistent of a lot of "I'm sure it's down this way"...."No, wait - I'm sure it's this way.."...."I remember this..."
Needless to say, navigation is not one of our strong points.
As I have dubbed myself Mike's manager, I created a comprehensive list of things to bring to the race. The list came in handy today as we headed out to get supplies, we referred to it.....well I guess we didn't BUT it was good to know that we had it:) As his manager, I have assigned myself duties of:
- creatively going around the house and putting things in a pile that I think may come in handy in the deep woods. A mesh bag - who knows, maybe use it as a fishing net. Empty plastic containers - who knows, maybe need to carry extra 'stuff'. Some may call me MacGyver - other's may say resourceful.
- asking him minute by minute "are you excited?", "how do you feel?", "do you have all of your gear?"....
- telling everyone that he's going on an adventure race
Not to overwhelm myself with my first managerial position, I've decided that's all of my duties. Wouldn't want to discourage myself.
I will not be attending the race. I will instead be tracking his progress online (they will have GPS trackers) and cheering from the comforts of work/home. As I have not participated myself in an adventure of this kind, you may say that I am the Phantom Adventure Writer - I hope to some day try this as it looks very exciting!

Fitness Update
I am officially a runner. I have ran 9.2kms and again on Tuesday (70% humidex, 'feels like 35degrees') I ran another 9.2kms. I felt fantastic (aside from the inner thigh chaffing - ouch!) and would have been able to do more.

Official Announcement: I have decided to go for the PEI 1/2 Marathon in October. I feel like I can achieve it so, why not?
14 weeks till the big day!

No comments:

Post a Comment