Thursday, July 1, 2010

Carpe Diem!


Today I woke up and after breakfast I had the idea to run from my house to my parents on Brighton Rd. Why? Don't know - just something about today made me think that I could. Maybe because it was Canada Day (probably not), Maybe because I needed the challenge (probably not), Maybe it was the barometric pressure (possibly)....Whatever it was, I thought that I would "Seize the Day" and Just Do it! Surprisingly I didn't worry about it at work today, just laughed with my coworkers and enjoyed the success of our newest dispatcher. I had a piece of cake with my lunch and thought " I may pay for this later", I was then awarded a Dilly Bar and thought - "I will definitely pay for this...." and then decided to 'ease off' the sugary snacks and get down to pre run business - an occasional stretch, 2 bottles of water and positive thinking.

I got off work, excited for the possibility of "freaking my freak" and achieving something I've only dreamt about. (Remember: the farthest I've ran is 5kms to date (without stopping) AND have only been running straight for the last week.... ). If I was to achieve this goal it would be substantially longer and something that my inner voice has always tried to convince me that I can't. I suited up in my lulu tights (for good luck), borrowed Mike's running belt (to look the part and hold my house keys) and headed out.....

I didn't leave the house with NO baggage. I had:
- no music
- no partner
- no supper and sugary snacks throughout the day
- an uncertain inner voice

BUT I had a 'feeling' that this may be my day.........

I set out for the 9.2kms and within 10 mins into the run, I was panting hard and doubting this idea. At one point (as I was approaching Winsloe soccer field) I thought "I might as well turn around" and "Why the F**K am I doing this!" - this passed as I was approaching the Bell heights subdivision and I started daydreaming.... I hit a rough spot going up the incline of North River Road but at no point did I think that I was going to stop. As I got to Queen Charlotte School I was certain that I would achieve my goal. Brighton Road was rocky only because I started getting emotional and was getting choked up and by my parents driveway I threw my hands in the air victorious wishing there was someone there at the finish line to celebrate with. Moments later my wonderful, supportive fiance pulled up anxious to hear the result - did I walk? Was I going to be upset and disappointed? Not likely!!!

I now know that I can do it and proved that the uncertain inner voice was wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment