Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Capabilities, Comments and Cows


Picture this......

50 hours of no sleep, 36hours and 14mins of trekking, kayaking, biking while branches, mud, bogs and bugs standing in your way. This people, would be called an Adventure Race......

Mike just completed his first Adventure Race this past weekend. At 12:37pm on Sunday, I received a text:

"What an experience. Never f*****g again." Went that good eh? I was thinking.....

After the initial sleep deprivation, hunger, dirtiness (was wet for 36 hours) had subsided, the sense of accomplishment set in. He retold the 36 hours of racing and went through the highs and lows. My question to him was..."What did you learn about yourself". His response - "That I'm capable of anything". Who would of thought that people are able to push themselves to such limits and still have room for more. Certainly not me or him. I don't know what I expected him to say about the race in the end. Thinking that he would hit peaks and valleys emotionally - maybe get discouraged...I'm not sure. He did say at no point did he think he needed to stop or wanted to. Wow, amazing!

We then determined that Adventure Racing is like child birth. Never want to do it again as you're going through it. Not so bad when you're done and the time passes...

Congratulations Team Ham n Eggers!!

While Mike was in the deep woods in NB pushing himself to the limit...I was having an enlightening discussion about Cows with a coworker. As she was discussing farming, I was thinking about Cows. Do cows have personalities? Can then respond to a name - like, could I call a Cow Connie and would she come? Are cows smart? Things that I've never really thought about.
My coworker let me in on a little secret about cows - they're slightly intellectually challenged. It takes them a while to catch on to simple commands and are creatures of habit. Betcha you're glad I filled you in on this secret - now everyone can sleep better tonight.

As I'm working towards my goal of achieving the 1/2 Marathon in October, I haven't ran since my last bad run. Not because I have been discouraged (well maybe a little) but more so that I've just been busy. I am running tomorrow morning and then again Friday. Looking forward to it as my body has punished me for my mini break....Lower back, hips and knees have been killing me. The more active I am, the better I feel. Ok body - I GET IT! While Mike was away I was looking for inspiration and so who better to turn to - my positive self. I was rereading older blog posts and noticed some comments that I hadn't looked at from friends encouraging me or congratulating my on achieving a good run, etc. Thank you friends! It was just what I needed:)

No comments:

Post a Comment