Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Finish Line

I can't believe it's taken me this long to write about my PEI 1/2 Marathon Experience!

The week leading up to the big race, I was feeling extremely anxious: pacing, emotional, knots in my stomach - the whole nine. I wasn't scared of finishing the race but more so how my body/mind would feel while I was racing. I was scared that I'd cramp up or 'bonk' early on and then have to decide how to finish.... I made sure that I was hydrating up a storm - water, water and more water. During this fueling phase, I felt fantastic. Note to self: drink more water.

The night before the race, Mike and I hit the sack early to prepare - with both of us tossing and turning for most of the night it didn't make for a restful sleep. I was never so happy to see 6:00am hit and hear the sound of my alarm. By 8:00am, I was in at my parents to pick up my sister and head to the starting line. Once we got to Confed Centre we were taken back with the hoards of people around. As we were 35mins early, we paced and paced.

35mins later, the horn blew and we were off - slow at the start as it took almost 1min for us to pass the start line...Becs and I were feeling good, had a clear strategy of running 10mins, walking 1min. We started off quick and in our first 5km did 30mins (my personal best time). At this point, thrilled with my time, I knew I had to slow it down or I would gas out early. Becs started pulling ahead of me and as she looked back with the 'Are you coming?' look, I gave her the 'go 'head, go 'head' look. Once I hit the trail at the University I knew it was time to settle in. I had a group of people around me that were running at the same speed as me and doing a 10:1 program as well. The next hour was consistent - consistent pace, feeling in my body, etc. As I hit the Sherwood road intersection ready to take on the hills - I started feeling the fatigue, however, not enough to stop me, just enough to make me start breathing hard. I took my sport jelly beans for a boost and kept on.
As I approached the Euston/University intersection (2 blocks left), I had a feeling of sadness - to be finishing the race was bitter sweet. A year of preparing was over. Another goal achieved. Don't get me wrong, I was happy to be accomplishing the goal however, I enjoyed the training process so much that I was going to miss that.
As I hit the last block of race I heard the announcer say "finishing the 1/2 marathon, #1400, Stephanie Gee from Winsloe - Great job Stephanie". I could then see a group of people jumping up and down to my left. As I looked over there, to my surprise, was synchro swimmers, coaches, parents there to cheer me on. I was instantly overcome with emotion and started to cry and at the same time - couldn't breathe:) 3 of my athletes started running beside me with bright pink signs and I couldn't be more proud. I then looked to the right and saw my family and to the left, Mike's family. WOW - what a moment!
I crossed the finish line at 2hours26mins, received my tin foil cloak and participation medal and thought '1/2 marathon - check!'.

The next 3 days, I felt the 'after race dumps' - I was on a high for so long that I felt lethargic and blah after. I had a feeling of achievement and also an empty feeling, like - "what's next?". I received so many awesome messages and 'shout outs' and a few "what's next?" messages. Apparently, others are thinking the same thing!

So.....What is next for me?
- Joining the CrossFit gym in December
- Back to UFIT for the winter
- Intend to race the PEI 1/2 marathon again next October (to improve my time)
- Mike and I would like to do the full marathon in Las Vegas in December 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment