Monday, April 18, 2011

The Trial

I think I'm finally ready to write about it.  It's taken me a while as it's a big deal in a 'soon to be bride's' life.  The hair and makeup trial............

I was soooo excited going to my hair and make up trial last week. I had chose an 'Old Hollywood' look as I felt the need to have something 'special' done with my short hair.  I was thrilled as my best friend and MOH was able to come with me for support.

My hairstylist and I giggled with anticipation and proudness as she was going to, for the first time since hair school, do pin curls and I was so pleased with myself that I had a 'plan'.  Really, what did I expect - I am a planner....

2 hours later I left the salon a Myrna Loy (30's Queen of Hollywood) vision.  Hair styled, fake eyelashes, peachy cheeks and a grin ear to ear as I had been transformed.  As I arrived home I tried calling my mom a couple of times to see if she was available for me to show off my look.  No answer.  I then called my MOH to see if she was free (she had to leave early from the appt).  No answer.  I then called Mike to see if he could come home to see my hairstyle.  He answered however wanted it to be a surprise on the 'big day' so didn't come.  I then loaded the pics I had of my style onto the computer, washed my hair out, stripped the fake lashes off 1 by 1 and headed out for the evening.

When I got home later that evening, remembering that I left a pic on the computer desktop, I asked Mike if he had seen it.  He shook his head 'yes' and so I asked "Welllll, what did you think?"  The look on his face was the "I don't know what to say" look.  "It's different" he says.  So then I knew, he didn't like it.........

After a few minutes of him expressing that he wasn't sure how to put his feelings into words about the style - he has a "I've got it!" moment.  To sum it up:  he didn't like the slicked 1 side to my hair, didn't like the front as the 30's era is his least favorite of all eras, thought my clip was too big for the length of my hair, thought the makeup colors didn't suit me - touch too pale, and thought I looked too done up.

For a man who didn't have the words, he soon found them....

Shocked and disappointed - I appreciated his honesty.  Then I got upset.  Solely because the ONLY person I care who likes what I look like is HIM.  In my desperation I kept saying "what am I going to do now" (guess I don't like to divert from the plan..), "I have to start ALL over again", "I will have to spend another $120 bucks to get this done", "why didn't you tell me you didn't like the 30's style's"...  I'm sure I went on and on as I have a tendency to beat my thoughts into the ground and then step on them again.

Note:  In his defense, I never asked him if he liked the 30's idea in the 1st place.

After a panicked call to my mom about the hairstyle.  I soon realized that he wasn't the only one who wasn't a fan of the style.  I just kept thinking - how can I be sooo wrong about this!  I really wanted to have a unique and different style.  I really wanted to be glammed out as I figure this is my day to do it.  I really love the 'over the top' things.  Jewels, makeup, hair, dress, shoes....can't be too flashy.  Well folks - I guess it can...

My lessons:  Mike just wants me to look like me on our day.  I should be secure enough to get married looking like myself and not trying to be sooo different that my true self is masked with pin curls and false lashes.  I need a 'softer' look, natural and sophisticated.  NOT Reece Witherspoon in "Water for Elephants"

So, I've decided to try a 2nd trial and to still have a uniqueness to my look just not too 'over the top'.  Glad I went to this trial and found out that it wasn't for me BEFORE the big day.  I'm sure (as Mike has told me 1,000,000 times after this whole schmazle) that he would like any look I have for the wedding but at least now I'll walk down the aisle as me and not Ginger Rogers.

No comments:

Post a Comment